Eye on the prize
Famed lensman Onne van der Wal set a deadline for the mostly DIY refit of a classic cruiser fit for the family
Partial Snoek work list
• Sand, prep and paint cabin sole.
• Strip out old and rebuild galley cupboard and shelving.
• At mast collar and deck cut out for mast, sand and strip paint/
epoxy wood and fiberglass structure.
• Template and order new cabin sole carpet.
• Remove, sand, epoxy and varnish all teak trim down below
plus polish original brass screws.
• Cut holes and install new small Lewmar hatches above galley
• Replace old leaking hatches in forepeak and saloon.
• Vacuum, pressure wash and paint bilge.
• Recover interior cushions.
• Clean, sand and repair cracks in saloon table and apply
varnish. Attach larger table legs.
• Remove all old original interior incandescent lights and install
all new LED lights.
• Drill hole and install new solar vent in head.
• Refurbish old companion way board and fabricate new
starboard companion way sliders.
• Sand, epoxy and varnish all interior woodwork.
• Reinstall varnished companionway stairs and engine door cover.
Engine and systems
• Replace Yanmar engine mounts and riser.
• Install Soundown sound installation in engine compartment.
• Install new stainless propeller, fit Lasdrop stuffing box and
new cutlass bearing.
• Refurbish and reinstall original bronze sea strainer.
• Install new electric auto bulge pump and run new
discharge hose to cockpit drain outlet.
• Install two new sacrificial anodes on prop shaft.
• Install new Scandvik head sink and head shower faucet.
• Install new heat exchange pipes from engine to new hot water
tank and top up coolant liquid in engine.
• Install Edson emergency hand bilge pump in cockpit locker.
• Install engine hour meter.
• Install new PEX piping for hot and cold water and install new
sinks, faucets, cockpit shower and hot water heater.
• Install portable 12-volt cooler box, tie downs and run new
wiring to panel.
• Install and hook up inverter, shore power battery charger,
voltage meters, USB chargers and 12-volt outlets.
• Install new 12-volt fresh water pump to run new wire to circuit
• Install new sea strainer for engine cooling water.
Sails and canvas
• Bend on new North Sails main and genoa sails and check
cruising chute and snuffer.
• Fit new sail cover and dodger with sliding window.
• Build new nav station instrument panel.
• Install new Raymarine instruments, chartplotters, wind
instruments in nav station, cockpit and one i70 at forward
bunk in forward cabin.
• Replace masthead trim color light with new 4-inch fabricated
starboard base and mount new LED tricolor/anchor light and new
• Remove old speed and depth transducers and install new
Raymarine transducer through-hull fittings.
• Install and wire new deck level LED nav lights on bow.
• Install autopilot.
• Install radar post mount in lazarette and wire to nav station.
• Remove all old deck hardware in prep for deck painting.
• Prep and apply Awlgrip on deck and topsides.
• Prep and paint bottom with Interlux micron anti fouling paint.
• Paint cockpit and lazerette lockers.
• Install new pedestal in new aft cockpit position.
• Install Mantus bow roller and anchor.
• Install new windlass, foot switches and heavy-duty wiring.
• Varnish and install cockpit table.
• Fabricate custom toerail bracket for new boarding ladder.
• Cut 2 inches off corroded mast butt section and fabricate new
G10 block riser.
• Waterproof and seal mast at through deck with new rubber collar.
• Replace propane locker drain hose.
• Clean, polish and reinstall original stainless coachroof and
• Install new foredeck mooring cleats.
• Install movable genoa cars and tracks and fabricated stainless
under deck plates, bolts and acorn nuts.
• Install solar panels on dodger.
• Install new self-tailing winches.
• Fabricate coachroof mounting plates and install sheet stoppers.
• Replace all 1x19 standing rigging.
• Install Windex and Raymarine mast head unit.
• Install heavy-duty VHF wire in mast and new VHF antenna.
• Install new mainsail track on existing track.
• Replace all running rigging.
• Pour new Spartite mast partner.